Taking care of your home’s foundation is important in any season, but winter foundation maintenance is something that is especially important for protecting your largest investment and keeping your family safe and warm.
Understanding Georgia’s Winter Weather
Winters in Georgia are relatively mild compared to other parts of the country. Average temperatures are between 50° and 60° F during the day with temperatures overnight plunging into the 30° F range. This large daily swing in temperature can have adverse effects on your home’s foundation.
Signs of Foundation Problems in Winter
If you are experiencing any of the following, it is time to seek foundation repair services:
- Trouble regulating the temperature in your home
- Humid or moist air inside your home
- Cracked pipes
- Tilting chimney
- Uneven floors
Causes of Foundation Problems in Winter
Foundation problems in winter primarily result from soil and concrete expansion and contraction due to weather changes. During the cold snaps, water freezes and makes the foundation expand. As Georgia’s winter weather warms up, the foundation contracts. This is a year-round cycle that can lead to emergency foundation repair in the winter.
Erosion from rain can also cause foundation problems in winter. That’s why it is important to ensure your basement or crawl space is waterproofed by experts like the team at H20 Proof & Foundation Repair. If you haven’t had your space inspected in a while, now is a good time to consider winter foundation maintenance to avoid costly emergency foundation repair needs.
Importance of Timely Foundation Repair
It is always important to properly maintain your home’s foundation to avoid problems and emergency foundation repair. If you see a crack or notice a winter-related problem, don’t put off seeing professional help from H20 Proof & Foundation Repair. Our experts can inspect your property and help you understand the underlying cause of the foundation problems in winter and create a customized solution plan for your home. Typically, the sooner foundation problems are addressed, the easier they are to fix and the less expensive it is for you!
Winter Foundation Maintenance Tips
In order to protect your home’s foundation from problems this winter, follow these helpful tips:
- Clear the area surrounding your home from debris and leaves that can trap moisture around your foundation.
- Inspect the outside of your home for cracks or gaps, especially around windows and doors or between bricks.
- If you see any openings, seal them to prevent water from getting inside.
- Check your yard to ensure proper grading, so that water flows away from your home, keeping the foundation dry and minimizing erosion.
- This is the most important winter foundation maintenance tip! Ensure your basement or crawlspace has proper ventilation. This important step can prevent water buildup, which keeps harmful mold from developing in your foundation.
If you are ready for the team at H20 Proof & Foundation Repair to inspect your home’s foundation to keep your family warm and dry this winter in Georgia, contact us today! All of our home visits are FREE to you and can usually be conducted within a few days of you reaching out. Don’t delay foundation repair services this winter.